Wednesday 19 April 2017

Spring 2017 - Survey along the Frome

On Easter Monday, I walked up the river from Nightingale Bridge to Cogmill to see whether there were any signs of balsam, and also  to enjoy the bluebells.

Although still early in the season there are already signs of balsam growing at various places along the river.  I spotted balsam in the field edge downstream from Bridge House, along the bank by the community orchard and by the open area off Meadow Mead. There's certain to be more I didn't spot. Most plants are just a few inches tall so pulling in any quantity would be back breaking work.



Also on my walk I kept a look out for rubbish in the river. The worst examples were a gas cylinder and a garden chair. There are also some fallen trees which are collecting rubbish




On a more positive note, the walk along the river was very pleasant and the bluebells were looking good!



No comments:

Post a Comment